Both ActivTrades and XTB stand out as two of the best CFD brokers, and within this article, we will undertake a comprehensive comparison to determine the frontrunner between the two. Renowned for their robust reputation and extensive product portfolios, XTB and ActivTrades have each earned their place at the forefront of the industry.
Our analysis will delve into an examination of these two brokers, scrutinising the essential factors that hold significance for traders, such as the fee structures, the spectrum of financial products on offer, the diverse account options, and the regulatory frameworks governing their operations.
ActivTrades vs XTB: which one is the best broker?
ActivTrades and XTB are two distinct brokerages, each bearing its own set of strengths and weaknesses.
By delving into an in-depth examination of their products and assets, the cost structure, and other features, we aim to empower you in making an informed decision. And, as the dust settles, we will present our verdict on both brokers.
XTB vs ActivTrades: what are they and how do they work?
When you’re investing, having confidence in your broker and their reliability is key. That’s why we’re focusing on two brokers with solid histories and good reputations.
How does ActivTrades work?
ActivTrades started as a forex broker in Switzerland back in 2001 and later set up shop in London. Over time, it has expanded its offerings to include different types of investments, especially focusing on CFDs. Along the way, they also established themselves in various countries, making their presence truly international.
ActivTrades is also one of the best scalping brokers and has won numerous awards.
How does XTB work?
XTB came into the scene in Poland in 2002, just a year after ActivTrades. It has kept its main headquarters in Poland, and since 2016, it’s also listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. It has expanded its reach across Europe and Latin America.
While specialising in CFDs, XTB has broadened its offerings over time. It now provides other products like spot stocks and ETFs with no commission.
ActivTrades vs XTB: main features
The following table summarises the most important features of ActivTrades and XTB:
|📈 Products||Stocks, ETFs, commodities, forex, indices, |
and more via CFDs and spread betting
|Real stocks (also fractional) and ETFs|
CFD (forex, stocks, indices, commodities)
|💰 Minimum deposit||£0||£0|
|🕹️ Demo account||Yes||Yes|
Which broker is safer and more reliable, ActivTrades or XTB?
Both brokers are adequately regulated and supervised by different authorities in the countries where they operate, including the UK. Here’s what you need to know about them.
ActivTrades is subject to various regulations. In the UK, the broker is regulated by the FCA and covered by the FSCS. Hence, it is compliant with all safety regulation, as discussed below.
Is ActivTrades reliable?
Investments in ActivTrades are covered up to £1,000,000 per customer and per account, which is more than the minimum requirement of £85,000 offered by the FSCS in the event of insolvency.
It also includes negative balance protection for all accounts, so you will never stand to lose more than you deposit in your account.
XTB is also a highly regulated broker in its home country and in those in which it operates. The company is regulated by the Polish KNF as a financial intermediary and also by other supervisory authorities such as the FCA in the UK.
In addition, as a publicly traded company, the company is subject to additional market control and higher levels of transparency in its accounts and operations.
Is XTB reliable?
XTB investments are covered by the FSCS for up to £85,000 and also adhere to all current regulations, including negative balance protection and account segregation.
Markets and products: ActivTrades vs XTB
Both XTB and ActivTrades offer access to a comprehensive range of markets and products essential for trading. Each broker distinguishes itself through its offerings, albeit with distinctions.
Products and markets available via ActivTrades
ActivTrades trading focuses on CFDs or Contracts for Difference and spread betting, so you can trade multiple asset types, including:
- Equities: Access to more than 1,000 different stocks
- Forex: More than 50 currency pairs
- Indices and bonds: Over 20 assets.
- ETFs: Wide selection of ETFs.
- Commodities: access to over 15 raw materials.
Products and markets available via XTB
With XTB, you can access a wide range of assets. In particular, the platform offers over 5,800 different financial instruments and derivatives.
Here is a summary of the products you will find on XTB:
- Stocks (including fractional): More than 1,900 stocks from the main stock exchanges
- Forex: You can trade over 55 different currency pairs
- Indices: Over 30 indices from Europe, the United States, and Asia
- ETFs: Over 150 ETFs
- Commodities. Access to over 25 commodities
Which broker offers better account types, XTB or ActivTrades?
The account structure is similar in both brokers: a standard account, a professional account and a demo account. With XTB, however, the demo account is time-limited.
Here is what ActivTrades and XTB accounts offer.
XTB offers 3 types of accounts:
- Standard Account: the standard account is also available in a swap-free (Islamic) version. You can trade all assets and enjoy competitive costs.
- Pro Account: the professional account caters to institutional or professional investors.
- Demo Account: a free account which is the same as the standard account, but you can use virtual funds instead of real cash. The demo account is unlimited only if you open a real account, otherwise, it expires after 30 days.
ActivTrades has three accounts plus an Islamic account. Here is what each account looks like:
- Individual Account. It is the standard account, to which you have access by default. It allows you to invest in all the broker’s markets and will give you access to all the broker’s tools.
- Professional Account. It is an account for customers who qualify as professionals. With this account it is possible to use a higher leverage and no warnings about potential risks are displayed during trading.
- Demo Account: a free, unlimited demo account is available to those who’d like to try the broker before depositing real cash.
Cost structure: ActivTrades vs XTB
Next, let’s compare the brokers’ cost structures and identify which one is more affordable.
ActivTrades cost structure
Next, we’ll have a look at ActivTrades’ cost structure, and it’s important to note that ActivTrades is one of the best commission-free brokers. The main forex spreads are as follows:
Next, let’s have a look at the spreads on indices and bonds:
|Product||Target Spread (in pips)|
|US IND 30||1.20|
When trading stocks and ETFs, there are no spreads or other fees. However, keep in mind that ActivTrades may charge you a swap fee if you trade these assets and leave the position open overnight.
Finally, here’s the target spread for trading commodities:
|Product||Target Spread (PIPS)|
XTB cost structure
Just like ActivTrades, XTB charges 0% commissions. Some products might come, however, with a minimum order amount. For example, if you want to buy UK stocks, you need to place an order of at least £100.
Also, XTB’s cost structure varies considerably depending on which asset you want to trade. Unlike ActivTrades, it doesn’t provide a target spread, so the fees may differ based on assets, market volatility, and other factors.
ActivTrades vs XTB: minimum deposit and account opening process
Opening an account with XTB and ActivTrades is simple and can be done 100% online. Here’s how it works in each case.
Opening an account with XTB in 4 steps
The process of opening an XTB account is very simple and can be summarised in four steps:
- Access the XTB website.
- Enter your email address, choose your country of residence, and enter your personal data.
- Choose the trading platform and the currency to use as the base currency.
- Activate your account by verifying your identity and address.
After activating the account, a deposit must be made in order to start trading.
XTB minimum deposit
XTB does not require any minimum deposit for the standard account.
Open an ActivTrades account in 5 steps
To start trading with this broker, follow these five steps:
- Access the ActivTrades website.
- Add your personal data, trading experience, and financial information.
- Configure your account and choose the platform you want to use.
- Provide your identity documents and proof of address.
- Activate the account and start trading.
ActivTrades minimum deposit
To start trading with ActivTrades, no minimum deposit is required. The broker allows you to deposit money via bank transfer and e-payment systems such as Neteller, Skrill, or Paypal.
ActivTrades does not charge any fees for withdrawals.
Trading platform: ActivTrades vs XTB
Let’s delve into one of the core aspects of any brokerage: its trading platform. This system serves as your gateway to trading, and the choice between platforms depends on your strategy, operations, and knowledge.
On this front, ActivTrades provides a broader selection of options, and these options have undergone thorough testing. It offers MetaTrader 4, MetaTrader 5, and its proprietary platform. In contrast, XTB exclusively offers its own platform, available in two versions.
ActivTrades presents users with three distinct choices:
- ActivTrader: A proprietary platform that boasts high intuitiveness and customisation capabilities. Suited for all types of users, from novices to experts. It accommodates various order types and is accessible both via web and mobile interfaces.
- MetaTrader 4 and Metatrader 5: These are two of the most renowned trading platforms in the industry, requiring no introduction. They grant traders the flexibility to configure their trading system according to individual preferences and needs. For a more in-depth insight into these platforms, you can refer to the article MT5 review or MT4 review.
- TradingView Integration: Additionally, ActivTrades facilitates trading directly from TradingView. This integration is accomplished in three straightforward steps. This feature provides access to 12 different chart types, reduced spreads, synchronisation of up to 8 charts per screen, and an array of valuable tools. Have a look at our guide on TradingView.
Also, for a full breakdown of ActivTrades’ features and tools, have a look at our ActivTrades review.
XTB offers its proprietary platform: xStation 5 and xStation Mobile. xStation 5 is a comprehensive platform catering to a wide range of trading needs. xStation Mobile is designed specifically for mobile devices, this platform is known for its user-friendly interface and ease of use.
For an in-depth look at XTB, check this XTB review.
XTB customer service compared to ActivTrades
Let’s have a look at the brokers’ customer service quality, but also their resources for new and seasoned traders alike.
ActivTrades’ customer service
ActivTrades boasts professional and comprehensive customer service:
- Contact phone number: ✅
- E-mail: ✅
- Chat: ✅
The platform ensures a response time of under 30 minutes and a satisfactory resolution rate of 95% for customer queries.
XTB’s customer service
XTB’s customer service is attentive, professional, and thorough.
- Contact phone number: ✅
- E-mail: ✅
- Chat: ✅
What sets XTB apart is its strong emphasis on educating its customers. The platform houses a trading academy with multiple levels tailored to varying levels of knowledge. In total, it offers an extensive curriculum of over 100 lessons.
Furthermore, XTB maintains a robust online presence with webinars and training courses.
ActivTrades vs XTB: reviews
What do users think of XTB and ActivTrades? If we consider the ratings on Trustpilot, users of both brokers are quite satisfied, both with the performance and the platform.
XTB has the following rating:
Other broker comparisons
- DEGIRO vs XTB
- DEGIRO vs eToro
- eToro vs XTB
- DEGIRO vs IG
- eToro vs IG
- Interactive Brokers vs DEGIRO
- eToro vs Trading 212
- eToro vs Plus500
- IG vs XTB
- Interactive Brokers vs eToro
- IG vs Interactive Brokers
ActivTrades vs XTB: summary
What’s the sentiment among users of XTB and ActivTrades? Trustpilot ratings paint a contented picture, showcasing satisfaction with both brokers’ performance, platforms, and conditions.
In drawing this review to a close, we aim to offer our verdict on XTB and ActivTrades. Rest assured that you’re in capable hands with either choice. Notably, both earn their place among our best brokers to trade CFDs.
However, distinctions arise between the two. ActivTrades holds the upper hand by providing access to the world-renowned MetaTrader 4 and 5.
On the flip side, XTB presents a 0% commission scheme for real stock and ETF trading, a feature not available through ActivTrades. Additionally, XTB’s strong online presence and educational efforts might sway beginners in its favour, earning it a top place among the best brokers for beginners.
Considering commissions, both brokers offer affordability. The following table summarises the advantages and disadvantages of ActivTrades and XTB.
|Strengths||✅ Highly regulated.|
✅ Professional trading platforms (MT4 and MT5).
✅ Additional coverage
|✅ 0% commission|
on stocks and ETFs.
✅ Highly regulated.
✅ Quality training.
✅ No minimum deposit.
|Weaknesses||❌ No real assets||❌ Only proprietary platform|
What makes ActivTrades and XTB stand out from each other?
The notable differences between ActivTrades and XTB are evident in their offerings. ActivTrades shines with its platform featuring MetaTrader 4 and 5, while XTB introduces a unique 0% commission plan for spot stock and ETF trading, setting it apart in this aspect.
What sets XTB and ActivTrades apart in terms of investor education?
While both brokers prioritise education, XTB excels by offering an in-depth trading academy featuring various knowledge levels and more than 100 lessons. ActivTrades extends educational efforts through its robust presence in webinars and training courses.
What considerations should traders keep in mind when choosing between ActivTrades and XTB?
Traders should evaluate their preferred trading instruments, such as CFDs or spot stocks and ETFs, to determine which broker aligns with their goals. Moreover, assessing platform features, cost structures, and available customer support options will aid in making an informed choice.